Cost of SUDs
COST OF SUBSTANCE USE DISORDERS
- It is common knowledge that our nation and State are faced with a public health emergency pertaining to Substance Use Disorders (SUDs) and mental illness.
- Nearly 21 million Americans – more than the number of people who have all cancers combined – suffer from SUDs.
- There were 81,230 drug overdose deaths in the United States in the 12-months ending May 2020.
- 90% of Americans who need services for drug abuse do not get it.
- Substance Use Disorders are a brain-based disease. There is no known cure for SUDs. However, recovery is possible with proper medical care and treatment.
- The annual economic impact of substance misuse is estimated to be $249 billion for alcohol misuse and $193 billion for illicit drug use. Addiction and Substance Misuse Reports and Publications | HHS.gov
- During 2017, in Wisconsin we had 36,000 estimated cases of SUDs. The economic cost of these disorders were: $529.4 million in healthcare costs, $59.8 million in SUDs-specific treatment, $250.6 million in criminal justice involvement, $529.4 million in lost productivity, and $6,594.7 million in reduced quality of life. State-Level Economic Costs of Opioid Use Disorder and Fatal Opioid Overdose — United States, 2017 | MMWR (cdc.gov)
- The per capita cost in Wisconsin of SUDs and fatal opioid overdose in 2017 was estimated at between $2,604 and $3,337. (Source: Ibid.)
At Matt Talbot Recovery Services, Inc. our mission is to provide treatment for SUDs in State-certified CBRFs (community-based residential facilities licensed under DHS 83). Here is a recent list of persons whom we have helped achieve recovery and – in most cases – obtain employment:
- E.G- Unemployed Clean and Sober
- J.M – Employed Clean and Sober
- J.W- Employed Clean and Sober
- T.B- Unemployed Clean and Sober
- C.R- Employed Clean and Sober
- E.B- Employed Clean and Sober
- A.B- Unemployed Clean and Sober
- S.D- Employed Clean and Sober
- J.G- Employed Clean and Sober
- D.L- Employed Clean and Sober
- R.B- Employed Clean and Sober
- M.L- Unemployed Clean and Sober
- K.P- Disabled Clean and Sober
- A.W-Employed Clean and Sober
- A.P- Employed Clean and Sober